If you are successful at an interview and you accept a training place on UCAS, you can officially consider yourself to be a trainee teacher with Leigh Academies Trust – congratulations!
We can then support you in preparing for your training year. We do this as indicated below.
Leigh Academies Trust works closely with the TES Institute to provide our trainees with subject-knowledge enhancement (SKE) if they require it. The online course will provide you with:
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of your chosen subject;
- The ability to identify key concepts;
- The skills to design, present and evaluate pupil-centred lessons;
- Well-developed critical analysis, reflection and evaluation skills;
- Sound preparation for ITT;
- Some of the tools required to become an outstanding teacher;
- The skills and knowledge needed for career progression;
- Ideas and activities that you can use in the classroom.
One of the conditions of your training place is likely to be completion of the skills tests. Everyone who embarks on teacher training needs to complete these and there is plenty of help out there. With our training provider, Kent and Medway Training, we run daytime and twilight sessions to support you through the tests to ensure they’re passed in a timely fashion. Detailed information can be found here.
After your interview, both you and your mentor will be able to exchange contact details, making it easier to keep in contact as regularly as both parties feel is necessary.
Familiarising yourself with the academy you will be working in is certainly a must. Learning your way around, where key departments are and the timetable for the school will bring you closer to making sure your first day is easier and more comfortable as staff and students will already see you as a familiar face.