This year, The Halley Academy are delighted to announce that for the first time we will be running a fully-funded HARmony Summer Transition Camp from 29-31 July 2019 for up to 80 of our new Year 7 students joining us in September 2019.
During the three days, 22 of our Year 9 and Year 10 Halley’s Heroes will donate their time to deliver a programme at the academy based around the Humanutopia values of honesty, awareness and responsibility. With the support of the Humanutopia staff, Ms Williamson and Ms Beswick, the Heroes have been given the opportunity to be creative and develop their leadership skills by designing and running the following workshops for our new Year 7 students:
- Drama: learn new skills and work in groups to create your own play
- Arts and Crafts: learn new skills and copy the style of your favourite artist to create your own masterpiece
- Food Technology: learn some new recipes and create a special dish to share with your friends and family
- Sport: learn new football skills from one of our experts and take part in a tournament
- Dance: learn new dance skills and create a performance for your friends and family
- Athletics: learn new skills and take part in a competition
On 20 May, our Halley’s Heroes were trained by the Humanutopia team in how to design engaging and team-building workshops for the three days.The Heroes have been given the opportunity to develop essential life skills as part of the HARmony Camp training and a number of them have taken on additional responsibilities by becoming HARmony Camp Directors, workshop leaders, homegroup leaders and resources/administration leaders. This will enable them to support, manage and mentor the group of Heroes in the lead up to and during the camp. These Heroes will then work with our new Year 7 students over the three days.
The camp will begin at 10am every morning and finish at 2:45pm. On the final day, there will be a celebration for families to see the Year 7’s hard work, and to meet some of the Halley’s Heroes who will continue to support them through their transition.
If you would like to see one of the previous HARmony Camps, please click here.